Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our Headboard


We got this headboard about 7 years ago at a garage sale. It wasn't my favorite thing, but I really liked the shape of it. I thought maybe one day I would redo it to something I liked more, but never got around to it. Well the other day I decided "what the heck" so I pulled it out and sanded a bit here and there. I didn't really have a plan, but 4 hours later it was sanded down to the wood and I liked the color. Next, I wanted to replace the mesh with fabric so I got the wood finished like I wanted then went to work gluing on padding. The plan didn't work how I wanted it and after much debate I realized I need to pull the mesh off from the back. It was hard work but I finally got it off and removed from its stabilizing boards, not with out incident, but I have only made myself bleed three times.

When I realized I couldn't use the fabric the way I wanted to I needed a plan B. Andie suggested I paint part of it the color of the fabric I was using, so we loaded everyone up in the car and went to Walmart and Porters and that is where I found the lettering. Liking the brewing idea I got home, but Jenna to bed and went back to work. I was on day two of the project so I just let the big kids play outside while I sanded and started painting.

There was still no defiant plan but things were coming together. I though maybe some antique gold leaf would look nice, so I spend an hour putting it on, and three hours taking it back off when I didn't like it. At 1:00 a.m. I fell into bed. 7:00 a.m. back at it. I finished painting and the put the fabric over the removed mesh and stapled it back into place. After a few coats of sealer I had a final product. After all the work I can truly say I like it. Johnathan hasn't seen it because he has been with the scouts, but I don't plan on changing it, so he better like it. :) Over all, I am glad I did it, now I have a head board that I love, and...I will never have to do that again!

4 comments:

Tara McLean Derricott said...

Good work! I like doing things myself and making something old into something new.

Dacia said...

Good job. It's great to have a job done and to like it too!

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Wow! That turned out beautiful!!!! (I went to school with the Duncan family.)

Anonymous said...

Hello Martha Stewart! You should really teach homemaking classes, you are so talented.