Friday, October 31, 2008

Book Fair!

Yesterday I got the opportunity to help at Andie's book fair. Now a little background. I have not worked outside the home in almost eight years. I am cash register illiterate, and I gets flustered early around my peers. SOOO...I got there early so I could have time to learn whatever it was I would need to learn. The lady that was there before me ran through cash register instruction 101, very quickly and then left. Three minutes later the entire population of mothers and their children showed up, I even thought I heard different languages being spoken so they may have come from out of state or out of country...just because I was there.

Everything was going swimmingly until a lady and her two kids brought up 5 books or so. After ringing up her total she decided that they needed to put some of them back. WHAT!!! I don't know how to take books off the ticket, just add them on, that is what you are supposed to do, add books. So I think, ok, cancel the order. It was at that moment that every person in the Western United States got in line to purchase their books, and the same moment that the cash register decided to have a temper tantrum. I tried everything I could think of to make the stupid thing work, but no matter what I did it just kept freaking out.

By this time children were crying, mothers were threatening and I could hear their thoughts. "What is wrong with this woman, can't she see that we need to be somewhere else?" Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mine I heard that little voice saying, "Cut your losses and get the heck out of here!" Yet I continued on. NOW the $25.50 order had topped out at $75.50, and I was sweating so much that me, the table, and cash register were floating in a big, fat, slimy puddle.

Enter Dacia Alba, the raven haired beauty with all the answers. She slopped through my puddle and grandly reached over with her manicured fingernails, and shut the register off! Under her very capable hands the register purred to a start and gladly followed her every command, we were saved!

After that the machine ran smoothly and when Mary arrived we figured up a rough total before putting in any numbers so moms could decided if they were willing to pay the amount before we entered it in. The dragon behaved after that, and when my hour was up, I was relived. However, somewhere in a PTO meeting this coming week they will say, NEVER let Anna-Liisa, help at the book fair again!

2 comments:

Johnathan said...

HA AH A HA HA HA HA HA That is Hilarious!

Dacia said...

You are hilarious! You make it sound like I knew what I was doing. As I recall, I still didn't void the entry correctly. But I figured I would fix it later :) Anyway, it was WAY crazy at that very moment you were speaking of. I don't know what happened, everyone decided to show up at the same exact moment :)