Thursday, October 30, 2008

Home is Where the Hat is!

It has been an emotional few weeks for me. I think it is lack of sleep and maybe the cool weather, but it has sure got me thinking. As most of you know we moved from the beautiful Bitterroot valley a few months ago and I have been constantly amazed at how much I miss it. While I have enjoyed being closer to my family I have struggled daily with the move. So this morning after looking at some other blogs I realized why. The valley is a beautiful place, the mountains stunning, the surroundings comfortable. Every morning it looks and feels like it does when you camp, the rich wet pine smell and the deer grazing in your back yard. Incomparable in my opinion. But that isn't what I miss the most, it is our friends.

Three years ago we moved into a little pink house on Sunset Ave. Our back windows faced the mountains and the view was breathtaking every day. The road ended just behind our house, and it was quiet and safe. Andie learned to ride her bike outside our front door, and the kids and the dog would play for hours in the fenced back yard. But we knew no one, and it was a little scary. Then something wonderful happened. We went to church, and the whole ward loved us instantly, within a week we had callings and friends. Friends!! Something that we had never experienced before. Coming from a collage ward, where no one was interested in talking with you, then suddenly it was like we were indispensable.

In the past three months I have miss most, the Sunday dinners, the impromptu FHE's, the dutch oven dinners in the mountains, camping, girls night out, play dates at the park, baby showers, shopping, Super One, Naps, phone calls, and support.

About a year ago we were driving into Missoula, and Johnathan asked me how I felt about moving when he was ready to go back to school. I feel the same way today and I did then, I never wanted to leave! They say that, "home is where the hat is." Well my hat is somewhere in the Bitterroot Valley.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that the move has been and still is such a struggle. Hopefully Jon's schooling will go by quickly and you can get back to a wonderful situation like you had before!

Dacia said...

It's so hard to leave good friends and it's hard when they move away from us! I know, I just had a good friend move away and another who will leave within a year. That's the nature of our rotating ward. It seems that I make friends with all the people that aren't planning on staying long term.

Anyway, everytime we've moved it's been really really hard to leave behind our good friends, but we start again at the whole process. It's been so great to make life long friends where ever we go. I hope the adjustment becomes easier as time goes by.

dippyrooroo said...

We miss you here! Your family left it's mark on all of us, and you are in our thoughts and prayers!