Friday, November 14, 2008

Congratulations Ben!!!

For those of you who don't know, by youngest brother graduated from Basic Training today and I just wanted to put a huge shout out to the world that I am one super proud big sister! Ben has really had some struggles in life, and he has made some poor choices, but about a year ago he told me that he wanted to go into the arm. I didn't try to talk him out of it, but I wasn't to happy with him either. I hoped he would serve a mission and then marry in the temple. Towards the end of his Junior year he chose a different path and ran into some trouble, both physically, and spiritually. I think our love kept him going, and he came back and was able to attend Hillcrest his senior year. Then at the end of the year he ran into some more trouble and didn't graduate with his class. We were disappointed, but we encouraged him to get his diploma. A week later he took a test and passed the class he needed.


The day before he left for Basic I talked to him briefly about the church and what he believed. He told me that the Gospel wasn't that important to him right now. I didn't want to push him, but before he got on the plane I gave him his Book of Mormon and asked him to read the note in the back that I had written, and two marked scriptures. He said he didn't want it and I told him to read the things I asked him to, then he could throw it in the garbage. I also gave him a letter, letting him know how I felt about a lot of things.


The letters started coming, most encouraging. He was attending church, and reading the scriptures, later he told me of his conversation and some of the things that he had experienced. He could truly see the Lords hand in his life, and I couldn't have been happier. Now he is looking to become an Elder and he has spoken with the Bishop and worked through the repentance process. I was thrilled to hear from him the other day when he gushed about how much he has changed, and how I will be so surprised because he is a different person. I can't wait to see him tomorrow, because I truly believe he has changed.


Tomorrow we are having a surprise welcome home party and I made a cake. The family will be there and we are going to have dinner and then spend time with Ben before he leaves for Colorado. This has been a time of change for all of us, but I am still so proud that Ben has started making correct choices and has found direction in his life. I love him with all of my heart! Congratulations Ben for finishing Basic and good luck with your next venture, may God be with you always.

2 comments:

Dacia said...

You did such a good job on the cake! Thanks for showing it to me. I bet it will be delicious! Have fun with your family. That's awesome that your brother is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Ben. That is fantastic he is doing so much better. Hope you enjoy the time you get to spend before he leaves. Good job on the cake too! :)