Monday, November 17, 2008

Locks of Love

Several weeks ago Johnathan and I were having a conversation when the foundation Locks of Love was mentioned. Andie overheard us and asked what that was. I did my best to explain that they use children's hair to make wigs for other children who have a need for them. Andie was obsessed with this concept and she had me trim her hair immediately and started taking really good care of her hair. About every other day she had me measure it to see if it was long enough. I thought it needed to be 12 inches, but I decided to check on Saturday so I could give Andie the correct information. The web site said it only needed to be 10 inches, and when we measured her hair it was long enough!!!









Johnathan was out for the morning so I told Andie that we could go with he got home. She danced around the house and kept asking when it would be time to go. We measured it over and over to make sure there was enough, and I kept telling her it would be pretty short. She didn't care all she wanted was to get it cut. When Johnathan got home we headed out and she anxiously got up in the chair at the hair dresser. I thought she would be sad when it was all done, but instead she was beaming with pride. She told everyone at the beauty shop what she was doing and the girl that cut her hair made a big deal out of it. I will take her with me today to mail it off, she is excited that she got to help a little girl just like herself. Andie, I am so proud of you for helping others!

Check out the Foundation here: http://www.locksoflove.org/

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a brave and awesome thing for a little girl to do. A few years ago one of my grownup friends gave her hair for a little girl who lives right here in Hamilton! Your new haircut is so cute, Andie!

Rachel said...

Hi Duncan Family! I found your blog through tara derricotts list! How are you guys doing? Andie what a cute new hair cut and what an awesome thing to do!

Dacia said...

I did that a few years ago too and it felt so great to do something with all that hair I was cutting off anyway. Good for your daughter for wanting to do something charitable.

Tara McLean Derricott said...

That is so cool... way to go Andie!!!!

Jackie B. said...

that is awesome! i've always wanted to do that...but my hair just doesn't grow long enough. Way to go Andie!!